Join the CLA team.
THE CHICAGO LITERACY ALLIANCE NEEDS AN AMAZING MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
The Chicago Literacy Alliance is an association of more than 130 organizations helping to meet literacy needs for people of all ages and backgrounds. From learning to read & write to loving to read & write, our members serve to create a more literate Chicago. Our beautiful West Loop home, the 50,000 sq.ft. Literacenter, is the country’s first ever coworking space dedicated to literacy.
About the Position:
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Marketing & Communications Manager will spearhead the Chicago Literacy Alliance’s external marketing, media, and PR efforts along with developing a suite of donor stewardship materials. This person will create and implement a robust marketing strategy and plan for the organization, oversee the creation of all online, print, broadcast and social media content, and ensure the timely, accurate, and creative production of regular CLA donor stewardship communications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create a cohesive marketing, PR, advertising, social media, and communications strategy and calendar for the organization and work with the appropriate teammates to ensure the success of that strategy.
- Work with fellow members of the Development Department to design and disseminate creative online and print materials, including website content and various promotional pieces.
- Plan and execute marketing and communications initiatives, including:
- Create and implement a social media plan to engage a wide range of audience and grow CLA’s online community.
- Create and send newsletters to keep supporters and external audiences updated on CLA news.
- Ensure the quality and timely distribution of donor cultivation and stewardship e-newsletters and other e-blasts.
- Marketing and publicity for all CLA fundraisers.
- Update and maintain CLA website.
- Work with fellow members of the Development Department to ensure successful communications for donor fundraising campaigns.
- Direct videographers, photographers, editors, etc. in the creation of clever/witty/exciting digital media.
- Cultivate relationships and partnerships with major media outlets to ensure regular coverage of CLA’s events, programs, and other initiatives. Help secure media coverage through creative campaigns and public events, and by writing, disseminating, and pursuing media advisories and press releases.
- Draft articles, conference and speaking engagement proposals, talking points, fact sheets, and presentations for the organization’s leadership.
- Secure awards and speaker opportunities to increase public awareness of the CLA.
Graphic design experience is required, and ideal candidates will have two years of work experience in nonprofits. We’re looking for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit, someone who is looking to grow a marketing program into something great, someone who is passionate about all things literacy, and someone who works well in a team.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement:
The CLA is an equal opportunity employer, and embraces and celebrates diversity in the community it seeks to foster. Diversity of ethnicity, skin color, background, experience, lifestyle, skillset, physical limitation, education, religion, sexual preference and gender within the CLA team is essential to the organization’s culture and mission.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Health/Dental/Vision/Life insurance plan
- 401k retirement plan
- Unbelievable PTO plan
- Chance to work at the Literacenter, the country’s first nonprofit shared workspace dedicated to literacy, and use of its facilities (including the LitLounge, five Literascooters, free coffee, frequent snacks, and more!)