Our wonderful member organizations are looking for a few great people.
Senior Development Manager
Open Books seeks to hire an enthusiastic self-starter passionate about literacy in the city of Chicago for the role of Senior Development Manager, responsible for the organization’s development and advancement functions. The Senior Development Manager will join a team of 20 staff members driven to transform lives through reading, writing, and the unlimited power of books. Open Books is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the spirit and law of antidiscrimination protections to foster a diverse workforce.
Reports to: Executive Director
- Collaborate with Executive Director to develop and execute annual development strategy
- Identify, research, and develop outreach strategies for new corporate, foundation, and individual funding prospects
- Cultivate existing funders through diversified communication tools and vehicles
- Oversee the timely submission of applications, proposals, and reports required by funders and funding prospects
- Oversee the organization’s Volunteer and Development Manager (direct report)
- Manage projects, including periodic appeals and special events, as determined by the organization’s overall development strategy
- Serve as a liaison to the Board of Directors re: fundraising and advancement efforts
- Collaborate with the organization’s finance and accounting department to produce annual budgets and regular financial reports
- Steward effective account and moves management via NeonCRM database
- Participate in non-development-related opportunities, including internal (e.g., staff meetings, program execution) and external events (e.g., conferences)
- Other responsibilities, as assigned
- Passion for promoting literacy
- Consistent consideration of department and organization strategies and goals
- Understanding of donor relationships and moves management
- Eagerness to pursue new donor and funding leads
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Project management, including development of successful grant applications
- Experience with fundraising/relationship management software
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with previous experience
- Competitive benefits, including health and dental insurance
- Voluntary vision and life insurance
- Participation in the organization’s 401(k) plan
- Generous paid time off
- Flexible, family-friendly work environment
- Open Books bookstore perks, including free and discounted books
To apply for the Senior Development Manager position, please submit your resume and cover letter to Eric Johnson, Executive Director, at email@example.com by 5:00 pm on Friday, January 31, 2020.
About Open Books
Over the past 13 years, Open Books has grown into an award-winning organization, providing literacy programs to preK–12 students and rewarding volunteer experiences for 800 adults every year. Open Books’ mission is to transform lives through reading, writing, and the unlimited power of books. In 2006, Open Books started with a basic idea – to collect used books and sell them to support its literacy programs designed to impact Chicago’s youth. In 2009, Open Books opened its first bookstore in River North, which has since moved and expanded into the Literacenter in the West Loop; in 2014, Open Books’ second bookstore opened in Pilsen. Both stores represent literacy-focused hubs, complete with classrooms and community space, that not only support local neighborhoods, but also welcome citizens from the Chicago area to expand their access to affordable books. This year alone, Open Books will impact 6,000 youth through its literacy programs and donate 160,000 books to children, families, and under-resourced communities across Chicago.